Nearly 9 years ago, I ran off and married my husband in Antiqua. When we returned, we were blessed with many wedding gifts, including two flannel sheet sets.
The two sets have been rotated for 9 years and both have bit the dust this month.
We have fantastic new LLBean flannel sheets on the bed now, but I just couldn't throw away the sets with holes. Sure it had holes, but the rest was usable.
So, I made unpaper towels with just the fitted sheet of one of the sets.
All I did was take two 12 1/2 inch squares, sew them right sides together, leaving a 2 inch gap. I then turned them right side out, pressed the seams and edge stitched the whole square (which happened to seal the 2 inch gap). Lastly, I zig zag stitched from one corner to the next to seal the layers. Easy, although repetitive and a bit time consuming.
Even with the holes, I was able to piece and make 20 different flannel squares that fit perfectly on a paper towel roll.
So, there you have it. An old sheet that I couldn't throw away, turned into something much more useful.